AH declares Significant Weather Event - Jan. 9
Environment Canada has issued a Winter Storm Warning with the following weather hazard(s) for our region on January 9, 2024.
• Snow associated with a major winter storm is expected to arrive this afternoon and continue into Wednesday morning. Northeast winds gusting up to 50 km/h will result in areas of blowing snow giving poor visibility at times.
• There is a risk of ice pellets and freezing rain tonight, with a complete changeover to rain possible for areas close to Georgian Bay.
• The amount of snow will depend on how quickly the precipitation changes to ice pellets, freezing rain or rain, although some locations may receive 15 to 30 cm of snow.
• Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways, and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Visibility will be suddenly reduced to near zero at times in heavy snow and blowing snow.
• Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ONstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #ONStorm.
Public Works has reviewed the alert and as of January 9, 2024, at 10:00 a.m. the Township of Algonquin Highlands is declaring a Significant Weather Event in accordance with By-Law 2018-118 and Provincial Standards.
A “weather hazard” means the weather hazards determined by Environment Canada as meeting the criteria for the issuance of an alert under its Public Weather Alerting Program. O. Reg. 239/02, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 23/10, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 47/13, s. 1; O. Reg. 366/18, s. 1 (1, 2)
A DSW allows the Municipality to let a weather hazard pass without having an impact on the standard time set by the minimum maintenance standards for snow accumulation of roadways/bicycle lanes, icy roadways, snow accumulation on sidewalks, ice formation on sidewalks and icy sidewalks.
Municipal work forces will continue to provide maintenance operations, but for safety considerations, operations may need to be temporarily suspended.
A NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) will be issued for the Stanhope Municipal Airport for no winter maintenance being performed. Fueling for emergency services will continue.
All Algonquin Highlands waste disposal services may be impacted by this significate weather event. Please visit the Townships website for notifications regarding waste disposal site closures or delays.
All Algonquin Highlands Building Facilities may be impacted by this significate weather event. Please visit the Townships website for notifications regarding closures or delays.
Users of the roads and sidewalks within the Municipality are advised to avoid unnecessary travel and to use caution if doing so. Please remain a safe distance back from maintenance equipment and to drive according to conditions.
Further Notice will be provided when the event has ended.
Public Works Manager
Township of Algonquin Highlands
1123 North Shore Road
Algonquin Highlands, ON K0M 1J2
Sign up for News and Notices!
Keep up to date with everything happening in Algonquin Highlands by receiving regular updates to your inbox!