Thinking of opening a home business? Contact the Planning Department first, to make sure it's permitted where you live.
Here are some quick facts about home businesses and the Algonquin Highlands Zoning By-law:
There are two different categories of home business:
- Home Occupation (e.g. office)
- Home Industry (e.g. carpentry shop, metal shop)
The Zoning By-Law sets specific requirements that must be met when running a Home Industry or Home Occupation, including but not limited to:
- Limiting the percentage of floor space in your home or accessory building that can be used for a home business
- Size limitations and locations for signage
- Screening outdoor storage
- Landscape buffers
To find out if your proposed home business will meet the zoning requirements and what to do if it doesn't, please contact the Planning Department.
Sign up for News and Notices!
Keep up to date with everything happening in Algonquin Highlands by receiving regular updates to your inbox!