Photo of Dog

Animal Licensing and Control

We care about our pets in Algonquin Highlands so we hope you'll join us in keeping them safe. Dog owners in the Township of Algonquin Highlands are required to obtain a dog license for each of their dogs.

Dog Licenses

Dog licenses can be purchased at the Township office at a cost of:

  • $10/dog – male dog, spayed female
  • $20/dog – non-spayed female
  • $20/dog – one time license fee for a dog that is microchipped

When you purchase a dog license you will be given a dog tag that must be attached to your dog’s collar. Licenses must be purchased by April 30th and expire on December 31st of each year.

Lost or Found pets

Algonquin Highlands does not have an animal shelter.  The Township has an agreement with the Muskoka branch of the Ontario SPCA (Bracebridge) to take stray  animals whose owners cannot be found. 

If you have lost your dog, check here or call the Township office to see if we’ve picked it up.  You may also contact the Ontario SPCA Muskoka Animal Centre directly at 705-645-6225.

Other resources for reporting lost or found pets:

  • MOOSE FM 93.5 in Haliburton at 705-457-4855
  • 100.9 CANOE FM in Haliburton at 705-457-1009
  • Facebook page Lost and Found Pets of Haliburton County (you will need a Facebook account to access the page).

Yellow Ribbon Campaign

Yellow means caution and if you spot a dog wearing a yellow ribbon, it means to give that dog space, and that it may bite.

The Township of Algonquin Highlands supports the Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit in promoting the Yellow Ribbon Campaign, helping to educate dog owners, dog lovers and members of the public. Yellow ribbons, bandanas, window stickers and dog baggie holders are available free of charge at the Algonquin Highlands Administrative Office while quantities last.

You can learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Campaign here

Help spread the word that yellow means caution. Give that dog space!

Concerns, complaints, bites

Any concerns or complaints regarding dogs barking consistently or running at large should be made to the Building & By-law Enforcement Department.

Dog attacks or biting incidents should be reported to Building & By-law Enforcement Department and the Ontario Provincial Police.  In an emergency situation call 9-1-1.

Wild Animals

To report a nuisance bear around your property, contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) Bear Wise hotline at 1-866-514-BEAR(2327), TTY 705-945-7641. In an immediate emergency call 9-1-1.

Contact Information

By-law Enforcement Officer
Phone: 705-489-2379 extension 339

Office Hours
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Additional Information & Links


Control of Dogs By-law 2013-21