Individuals, corporations and unions can register as third party advertisers and can also make contributions to third party advertisers.  Third party advertisers will need to register with the municipality where they want to advertise.  If they want to advertise in more than one municipality, they have to register with each municipality.

Registration allows a third party advertiser to promote or oppose any candidate that the electors in the municipality can vote for (local council, school board trustee positions and regional or county council offices).  Posters, signs, publications, etc., promoting or opposing candidates are “third party advertisements”.

Third party advertising must be done independently of candidates, who are not able to direct a third party advertiser.  Candidates are not able to register as third party advertisers.

Key Dates:

April 1, 2018                    New rules come into effect

May 1, 2018                    Accept filings for registration for third-party advertising

September 25, 2018       Issue Certificate of Maximum Campaign Spending Limits to third party advertising registrants

October 19, 2018            Last day for third party advertisers to register at Clerk's Office when open

December 31, 2018        Campaign Period Ends - Deadline for third party advertisers to provide Clerk with written notification of deficit and  continuation of campaign period