Thinking of opening a home business? Contact the Planning Department first, to make sure it's permitted where you live.
Here are some quick facts about home businesses and the Algonquin Highlands Zoning By-law:
There are 2 different categories of a home business:
- Home Occupation (e.g. office)
- Home Industry (e.g. carpentry shop, metal shop)
The Zoning By-law sets specific requirements that must be met when running a Home Industry or Home Occupation, including but not limited to:
- Limiting the percentage of floor space in your home or accessory building that can be used for a home business
- Size limitations and locations for signage
- Screening outdoor storage
- Landscape buffers
To find out if your proposed home business will meet the zoning requirements and what to do if it doesn't, please contact the Planning Department.